Saturday, May 8, 2010

Kung Fu Hustle

As a movie lover I tend to stray away from almost all kung fu movies because I feel as though they are the same moves with just another slick title. I am proud to say that I am wrong. This movie was unlike any of the two kung fu movies I have ever seen. Kung Fu Hustle was hilarious, used amazing special effects, had a plot unique to its own, and contained many enjoyable references/spoofs to other cinema classics.

I loved watching Sing, a wannabe gangster attempting to join the famous and notorious Axe Gang, a legion of black tuxedoed mobsters responsible for a series of gruesome murders and complete dominance over a 1940s Hong Kong. At first, I was unsure on why Sing would even want to be a part of such a gruesome gang but as the movie unfolded I realized it was for the simple fact that they were viewed as the cool yet feared bad asses that provided a sense of strength and unity. The way in which Sing (a complete loser who cannot stand on his own two feet) went about making himself known was a hilarious disaster. His arrogance of trying to extort money from the locals in a poor apartment complex, which is territory of the Axe Gang, results in a battle between the housing complex ( containing numerous master of disguises) and the murderous axe gang. His recognition to the Gang was not so smoothly done.

Aside from the engaging plot, I loved the action pact martial arts as well as the showdown dance sequences and visual eye candy. I thought this movie was beautifully done and had just the right amount of laughable moments. I also enjoyed how the director used elements, styles, and overall references to other classic movies such as Westside Story, Gangs of New York, The Matrix, Broadway, Roger Rabbit, Road Runner and so much more. This movie could have been like all the other Kung Fu films I have seen but it wasn’t! While the martial arts style was similar, the plot and references were fresh. In typical Kung Fu movies we are told who the master or hero is in the very beginning. However, this film kept us on the edge of our seats searching, awaiting to see who would prevail as our hero.

I loved how everyone (in class discussion) was really excited about this movie. Someone made a good point about the unrealistic full recoveries we as the audience kept witnessing with Sing. He is stabbed by three misaimed flying knives and later bitten in the face by two snakes causing his lips to flare up like Roger Rabbit. Hours or maybe even a day later he returns all fine and dandy ready to make his kill.

3 comments:

  1. I agree , this movie was a good choice to end the semester with! There were so many visually engaging elements like the dance scene. I to have strayed away from Kung Fu movies, although I don't think it was my intention. I really want to go back and watch a classic Kung Fu movie then rewatch Kung Fu Hustle. I'm expecting it to be a completely different experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I also loved how this movie played with our idea of Kung Fu movies. Kinda like how you were saying with the hero, there was similar stuff with the bad guy. When I picture the villian of a Kung Fu movie, I think some like flashy warlord in a flowy robe and everything. In this movie, he looks like some nerdy neighbor who should be sitting in his backyard. This movie did a lot to play with those kind of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classic kung fu movies are really very good. The martial arts skill is real, and very graceful. The plots are pretty generic--like a cross between westerns and fairy tales. But people mostly watch them for the balletic fighting, and to see the good guy underdogs win. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete