Friday, March 12, 2010

La Dolce Vita

I actually really liked this movie and found it to be a visual enjoyment. I thought it had a lot to work with through its complex characters. At first, I found the characters exciting but the plot a bit confusing in grasping the time frame of the events surrounding Marcello. La Dolce Vita means the good life, full of pleasure and indulgence. As the viewer, you are watching the protagonist, Marcello, slowly being consumed by the high life of wealth, frame, and self-indulgence (la dolce vita). His career as a reporter reveals this life-style as lavish and that people want you and want to be around you. The closer he gets to these upper class people, the quicker he comes to realize either just how depressed, crazy, unstable, or soulless they all are. The more Marcello surrounds himself with them, the faster we watch Marcello fall into their holes of life without meaning. We watch him lose himself in his hunger for promiscuous sex. I couldn't stand the fact that he sweet talked his way into the almost every girl's pants. He told them exactly what they wanted to hear and they bought every word. It annoyed me how he didn't ever care to know them, it only mattered on what they could give him...sex! Sadly we watch as his search for both happiness and love never come because he never really appreciates people for who they are. As we learn from Marcello, his father was never really around much, that he left him just as he leaves his possessive girlfriend Emma.

In the reading, Pasolini states that the ideology of Fellini is identifiable a Catholic kind of ideology, the non-dialectical relationship between sin and innocence. I feel this movie was based on portraying a world of sin and loneliness in contrast to innocence. We watch as innocence becomes trampled by sin as Steiner murders his children and himself. Throughout the film you feel as though you are in a kind of hell in which people don't care to know you as a person, a friend, you are only a mean to an end. In this world of sin you only get glimpses of innocence, the kitten, the children, and the young girl seen both at the end and in the cafe. I felt that the final scene in which she is waving to him and shouting something Marcello can not hear, represented their final separation between worlds.

It took me awhile to formulate an interpretation on the statue of Jesus Christ, flying suspended in the skies of Rome from a helicopter, on its way to Vatican. I understood the meaning of this as a degrading change in times/morals. Jesus is flying with his arms open as if reaching out to bless Rome and its people. This camera shot quickly changes from Jesus to girls in bikinis with men googling them. I feel this is showing the shocking change in modern day, as if we need a blessing to save us. People used to be and dress in a more conservative fashion however this modern lifestyle seems improper and offensive to the Catholic religion/church. I feel like there is a deeper meaning to this image but I can't fully reach it. I feel it but I can't find the words to express it. On another note, the monstrous fish at the end left me thoughtless and confused. The line quoted in the movie kept playing through my head "Poor thing and it insists on looking." Poor us! We are watching these people drive themselves into the ground with late night orgies and drinking trying to fill their voids. In the second to last scene, the late night party at a man's house, made me feel uncomfortable yet I couldn't look away. The image of Jesus at the beginning and a monstrous fish at the end symbolizes that evil keeps washing up on our shores, our streets, our homes, and our society. As a society we have lost meaning and morals.

4 comments:

  1. I really liked your interpretation as seeing the world as a seperation between sin and innocence. It's just brief glimpses of happiness within a world of depression and loneliness. Marcello really pushes anyone who cared about him away in his striving for decadence. It makes you almost pity him knowing he's turning into every other miserable character in the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure what to think of the young girl at the end of the movie. What you say about innocence really puts that into a new light fo me. I never really even thought twice about the kitten either. Marcello showed no interest in helping the kitten until the American actress insisted they find it some milk. I agree with "guyinachair", it makes us feel sorry for Marcello that in order to have the sweet life he must give up the understanding of innocence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, seeing that I had no idea what to think of this movie I really like your interpretations. I was also finding myself mad at Marcello a lot. I didn't like the fact that he had many many women and never really cared about any of them. He only told them what they wanted ti hear no matter what it was. He came of as a scumbag to me more then anything. I thought it was interesting everything you said about his way of life and how people want to be around him, and how he is getting sucked into a life without meaning. I also liked what your said about the statue and fish because I had no idea what to think of all that. I thought it was funny how you mentioned the fish looking and then mentioned "poor us" for having to watch parts in this movie, which I thought was so true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely and passionate blog entry. I really like the way you just dive in to what you see, and describe it clearly and precisely. Nice job with the reading though. How do you think Pasolini feels about the way Fellini makes sin and innocence into oppositions that don't inform each other? Do you think Pasolini thinks another viewpoint is possible? Does Fellini?

    I'm not sure that Marcello really talked his way into anybody's pants. Besides the initial scene with Maddalena in the prostitute's bed (during which they apparently fell asleep), he can't even talk to the American actress, who doesn't seem all that interested in him anyway and goes back to her abusive boyfriend in the morning, breaks up with his girlfriend, professes love to Maddalena from another room while she's kissing somebody else, and then throwing feathers around at a bunch of women in a bored sort of way. It seems to me that far from seducing women, he consistently fails to get anywhere near them at all.

    And yeah, I agree with your peers. Your last paragraph just made me grin. Nice wit!

    ReplyDelete